Friday, September 6, 2013

2 September 2013


Sister Rachel Mullen

This week, our key indicators were a little down. We had a lot of unexpected things happen and then meetings but they were all great.

So awhile ago we asked our district leader what the options were for one investigator we have who has to work on Sundays because she has a contract and he had said she could be baptized if she could come to church for 3 hours. She has been interviewed before but didn't pass because of working on Sunday. We told her the news the day we reviewed with her the Restoration. She has such a testimony and began to tear up as she told us what she believed. It truly was remarkable. But then we were told that it depends on what kind of work she does that would allow her to pass the interview and when we were told that my heart just sank. She was so happy to continue learning with us. We fasted this last week so we would know what to say and how to say it and I don't quite know just yet, but I am feeling more peace about it and I know that everything will be ok.

I just feel so bad. I should have questioned more or not have taken that for the answer that she could still pass her interview. I just feel I should have known better before I went and told her. I don't know.

But we an amazing weekend. Friday we had a training for leaders... So the Zone Leaders, District Leaders, and Trainers were there and we learned about teaching skills and finding. We got so many great ideas to help us be better. I cannot wait to try things out! I got to see a lot of the other sisters in my group that were training and just being able to talk about the struggles that we have ALL been having white washing into a new area and training after training. It was just really nice. President Senior comes up to me afterwards and is like, "Sister Mullen. You look like you have lost weight." It was really only because I wore my black skirt, but whatever. They hadn't seen me since I had the Dengue. haha

Went back to Mahasarakham with Sister Madsen. some of my photos aren't working so I will send pics next week maybe? But yeah, we had switch offs and it was so much fun being with her. On Saturday she broke Sister Stephenson's bed! Hahaha I will try and send the picture next time. But wow it was so funny. We went with the members to the meetings in Roi Et. Elder Gong of the 70 was there. You may get a picture emailed to you. But it was SO amazing. I played for the choir and we heard wonderful things about temples.

It was Sister Senior's birthday and she talked about how her sister who has been less active in the church for 17 years texted her a picture of her temple recommend and she went through the temple on her birthday. I was of course bawling!

Sister Gong told us a story of a girl who made a list of 10 things to do before she could be baptized and the last and final thing was her interview... which she did not pass. And when her friend called and asked how it went, She said she was discouraged and did not see the point in learning anymore. But her friend then just said: "Don't give up. We were supposed to go to the temple together, remember?"

That meant so much to me because with all of this stuff that has happened this week with our investigator who has to work on Sundays, I know that trusting in the Lord is number one. And I realized that expressing the importance and sanctity of temples and how it can bless HER life, this investigator will be able to choose and overcome whatever challenges may be in her way of baptism. Because baptism LEADS and points to eventually, the temple. And that is where the blessings of the fulness of the Gospel lie.

I am so grateful for the temple and while I miss it right now so much, it makes me work hard. For these people that I love to not have one yet, it makes me wake up in the morning thinking about our mission vision. a Temple. And when it happens it will make all the trials and struggles worth it.

Sister Mullen

Sister Jasmine Mullen

Aw I'm glad mommy got to meet him. I was really excited for him to go over and meet you guys. We were in the temple celebration together He was in the Hmong group. It was so weird to think that we saw eachother at least once a week haha.

My new companion is great. Her name is Sister Hwang. She is from Korea. Her English is AMAZING. She is very hard working. We are very excited to work with eachother. I was happy to hear her say that she sees a lot of our investigators having so much potential. She's been sick for 3 weeks though. I love not being the sick one but I hate it too. Its like since I'm her companion I have to use my discresion for what she needs. She always tells me she's okay because she doesn't want to hold us back. But then if we bike somewhere she passes out. (That happened saturday at an investigators home) But I also don't want to get cabin fever. But i think way too much and I need to relax, I know. I make myself crazy sometimes. I've really been relying on the atonement to help me this week.

Oh it was pretty cool at zone meeting we talked about D&C88:73. The time is NOW. He is hastening His work now. And we need to be ready for it. This wave of missionaries is an amazing thing, but if we do not take control of it, it will turn into a destructive tsunami. The Lord didn't lower the age of missionaries so that we could just have and abundance of them. He lowered it so that MORE could be done. If all of us do not have that sense of urgency, nothing will happen. We have to work harder, pray harder, walk faster and trust more that the Lord is with us. I've also seen that I am so quick to give into the little doubts I randomly get, but to grow my faith i need miracles. Crazy right? But its true, and I'm working on dismissing my doubts quicker. Because I know that the closer I get to truly understanding the doctrine of Christ the harder Satan tries to drag me down.

But anyway! I did see a miracle yesterday. Craig got up and bore his testimony. He has the strongest testimony. He loves the gospel. I cannot believe we knocked on his door. The Lord's timing is such a mystery to me. But i know that right now Craig is an important part of God's plan. I don't really even know if that's happened before, but I do have hope that something will happen to Craig to bring him closer to Heavenly Father.

It was father's day yesterday, so happy father's day again! But it did kind of stink because all of our appointments fell through and not many people were at church. Its alright though. We'll smash it this week.

Kind of a short email for me but its just a lead up into the many miracles that will happen next week! I'm excited. I love you. Have a good week!

P.S.
I didn't have many emails this week and at first I was kind of sad but I am grateful now because it gave me time to actually really read through my president's email. Usually I just skim it, but its exactly the uplifrtment i needed for this next week. I just wanted to share it with you.

Acquiring spiritual knowledge was emphasized in our last new initiative. This initiative will have great merit if we make a focused, concerted, and diligent effort to engage ourselves with all of the components of the initiative that have been revealed. For example, as we witnessed the missionaries quote Doctrine and Covenants 4 in our transfer meeting, my heart leaped with joy. I know that each of these recitations will have an impact on all of you. What we will be releasing as a refocus on our daily planner, the enhanced study journal, and how we focus on making and keeping sacred covenants, will raise the level of our combined spiritual prowess and stature.

In an article that is quoted in “Preach My Gospel”, Elder Richard G. Scott taught a vital process for helping us “recall” spiritual experiences, “see” new insights, and “recognize” the new growth that we are experiencing. In Elder Scott’s General Conference address on “Acquiring Spiritual Knowledge” he identified the following process to follow when we discover some new doctrine and knowledge from our Father in Heaven. I suggest you consider these five steps in your personal study and pondering.

His formula is as follows (part quoted in “Preach My Gospel”: Understood: As each element of truth is encountered, you must carefully examine it in the light of prior knowledge to determine where it fits. Ponder it; inspect it inside out. Study it from every vantage point to discover hidden meaning. View it in perspective to confirm you have not jumped to false conclusions. Prayerful reflection yields further understanding. Such evaluation is particularly important when the truth comes as an impression of the Spirit.

Valued: You show knowledge is valued by expressing appreciation for it, especially in heartfelt prayers of gratitude. The Lord said: “He who receiveth all things with thankfulness shall be made glorious; and the things of this earth shall be added unto him, even an hundred fold, yea, more” (D&C 78:19).

Obeyed: Obedient application of truth is the surest way of making it eternally yours. The wise use of knowledge will permeate your life with its precious fruit. Remembered: Powerful spiritual direction in your life can be overcome or forced into the background unless you provide a way to retain it. Brigham Young declared, “If you love the truth you can remember it” (Discourses of Brigham Young, sel. John A. Widtsoe, Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1954, p. 10). Knowledge carefully recorded is knowledge available in time of need. Spiritually sensitive information should be kept in a sacred place that communicates to the Lord how you treasure it. That practice enhances the likelihood of your receiving further light.

Expanded: This thought refers to rich benefits that come from your efforts to enlarge, extend, and increase your understanding of truth. Use the scriptures and the declarations of the prophets to expand your knowledge. You will find that efforts to share knowledge are often rewarded with more understanding as additional light flows into your mind and heart (see D&C 8:2-3).

























No comments:

Post a Comment